(Draft) Commission Implementing Regulation correcting Implementing Regulations (EU) No 540/2011 and (EU) No 563/2014 as regards the CAS number of the basic substance chitosan hydrochloride
Utkast til kommisjonsforordning godkjent av komite (representanter for medlemslandene) og publisert i EUs komitologiregister 20.7.2021
BAKGRUNN (fra kommisjonsforordningen, engelsk utgave)
(1) Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 563/2014 approved the basic substance chitosan hydrochloride and included it in the Annex to Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 540/2011.
(2) After Implementing Regulation (EU) No 563/2014 entered into force, an error was noted concerning the CAS number (Chemical Abstracts Number of the American Chemical Society) used for the basic substance chitosan hydrochloride in the Annexes to Implementing Regulation (EU) No 563/2014.
(3) The CAS number is a unique chemical substance identifier, which is also used for identification of an active substance used in plant protection; it is used as reference for the purpose of trade and regulatory activities for chemicals globally and not limited to pesticidal substances.
(4) The column on common name and identification numbers mentions ‘chitosan hydrochloride CAS no: 9012-76-4’. However, the CAS number 9012-76-4 is assigned to the substance chitosan, while chitosan hydrochloride has the CAS number 70694-72-3. Therefore, as confusion about the substance identity may arise in chemicals management and trade, a correction of the CAS number mentioned in Implementing Regulation (EU) No 563/2014 and consequently in Implementing Regulation (EU) No 540/2011 is necessary.
(5) For reasons of clarity, it is appropriate to replace Annex I to Implementing Regulation (EU) No 563/2014 and the relevant entry in Part C of the Annex to Implementing Regulation (EU) No 540/2011.
(6) In the interest of clarity and legal certainty for economic operators and enforcement authorities, this Regulation should enter into force as a matter of urgency.
(7) The measures provided for in this Regulation are in accordance with the opinion of the Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed,
Landbruks- og matdepartementet