The group’s overall mission shall be to support the European Commission in realising the medium- and long-term objectives of the EU Soil Strategy, the vision to get all soil ecosystems in healthy condition by 2050, and to make protection, sustainable use and restoration of soil the norm by then. The group will advise the Commission and provide expertise on the implementation of the actions of the Soil Strategy, including the development of the proposal for the Soil Health Law. As specified in the Soil Strategy, the expert group will also help to develop the indicators for soil health and their range of values that should be achieved by 2050 to ensure a level playing field and a high level of environmental and health protection.
- Assist the Commission in relation to the implementation of existing Union legislation, programmes and policies
- Assist the Commission in the preparation of delegated acts
- Assist the Commission in the preparation of legislative proposals and policy initiatives
- Coordinate with Member States, exchange of views
- Provides expertise to the Commission when preparing implementing measures, i.e. before the Commission submits these draft measures to a comitology committee